Friday, November 6, 2009

Grave Secret - Charlaine Harris

Grave Secret is book four in the Harper Connelly series. There are no vampires in this novel, but who needs vampires? This story is part of a great series and this is a great book. Unfortunately when the book was over I was very sad. It has an unbelievable ending and wrapped up many mysteries, but melancholy would be the most positive description I can think of for this story. This book can really put your own life in perspective. Very highly recommended.

And for those who continue to dig for deeper meaning in this and other books, I have one message. Just suspend disbelief and enjoy the story. I love to read, and have since I was barely able to read. The best presents for me when I was a kid were books or bullets. But I hated literature classes because the search for themes, characters, plots, etc. destroyed any pleasure I got from reading a book. I never enjoyed David Copperfield or Moby Dick or Treasure Island when I was a kid, because I couldn't be a pick pocket, a whaler, or a pirate. I had to read for the deeper meaning. As an adult I've read all three and thoroughly enjoyed them. Down with literature. Up with reading. Stick your stodgy old literary analysis where the sun don't shine.

No comments: