Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Fallen - Thomson, Celia

The Fallen is the first book in the series The Nine Lives of Chloe King.  This series is young adult fiction.  First let me get what I don't like about the book out of the way.  The protagonist, Chloe King, is a 16 year old girl.  She lies to her mother, lies to her teachers, lies to her friends, cuts classes, drinks, and in general has no respect for rules.  This is not a role model that I'd want for my daughters or granddaughters.  The only reason the publisher couches this in terms of young adult fiction is because they're interested in money.  They're certainly not interested in promoting standards for acceptable behavior in teenagers.



That said, I enjoyed the book when I wasn't thinking of grounding the heroine. The story is about Chloe discovering that she's not a normal human.  The first clue is when she dies and later wakes up.  Then there are the claws and super human speed and strength to deal with.  But it's not all positive.  Someone is trying to kill Chloe, and trying hard.  Keeping in mind my reservations about the appropriateness for young adults, highly recommended.

No comments: