Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Read Free!

I've read over 90 books so far this year, but I've only paid for about a handful. The rest were free. There were some stinkers in there, but most were great books, and did I mention they were free?

You don't have to have a dedicated ereader to read free books. You can read books for the kindle or nook on your PC, your laptop, your phone, or your tablet. The apps to read these books are free too. You may have to open an account with the ebook store, but if the books you want are free you don't have to pay anything.

There are other sources for free books. A lot of public libraries can lend ebooks now, and you don't have to drive to the library to borrow them. Check with your local library to see if they have ebooks available.

Project Gutenberg has over 40,000 free ebooks. The Open Library boasts over 1 million free ebooks. ManyBooks.net has more than 29,000 titles available for free. Google gets into the game with Google Play Books. Google has lots of free books, but some are just samples so look before you download.

I wrote a post about this back in January, but I just wanted to remind people that reading is so much easier these days, and free. I can start a book on my tablet or one of my PCs, switch to my kindle or nook, and continue to read on my phone if I want to endure the small screen.

I know there are purists who still want their books made of trees, but I prefer the electronic kind. The paper kind are are only free from the library, and I live 20 miles from the library. Did I mention I like free?

No comments: