Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Society - Michael Palmer

This book explores the US health care industry in the context of a very good murder mystery. The story grabbed my interest and I found myself following it when I should have been doing other things. Sleeping mainly. Highly recommended with the caveats below.

There are always some things that drive me nuts. One is authors trying to make themselves sound more knowledgeable than they are. For the record Glocks don't have cylinders, hammers you can cock, or safeties you can check to make sure they're off.

I really enjoyed this story right up to the end when the author got on his political soap box and began to daydream about universal health care in this country. When he actually indicated that someday our country may enjoy universal heath care as good as Canada I was tempted to burn the book. Idiots can be authors too.

1 comment:

popnowlin said...

It was nice of you to dump your little canned rant here for me to read. My suggestion is you move to Canada, England, or any other developed country you want, since according to you they all have better health care than the USA. Why are you still here?

The USA is a capitalist society. It should stay one. Socializing health care is a huge step in the wrong direction. It will lower the quality and timeliness of health care, not raise it.

Can you cite any references for your claim that health care is the #1 cause of death in the USA? I didn't think so. Your rant is just as fictional as Palmer's novel. Just not nearly as interesting to read.