Saturday, November 29, 2008

Just After Sunset - Stephen King

Just After Sunset is a collection of 13 short stories. An appropriate number for Stephen King. It's been a long time since King came out with a collection of short stories and it was worth the wait. I'm particularly drawn to short stories. They can be as compelling as full length novels, but I can usually get to sleep before my alarm goes off in the morning.

King is one of those story tellers who never lets you know how it's going to end. There are some authors you can count on for a happy ending, no matter how grim their tales get in the middle. Sometimes I like that and sometimes I don't. King can kill off the whole cast and leave a monster waiting around for the next innocent to stroll within reach. You never know. Some of these stories end happy and some just end. They're all excellent.

My personal favorite was Stationary Bike. I now have a better excuse not to ride mine :) Close behind were The Cat from Hell, A Very Tight Place, and The Things They Left Behind. Very highly recommended.

No comments: